All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have so many new techniques and scientific advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and painless method to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will be delighted with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by look these up expensive advertisements about see this a particular laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not understand can hurt you.
Ask for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your medical professional will not tell you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Make certain that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a somewhat different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the eyesight of countless people worldwide.